Briyani rice, chicken rice, olive rice and butter rice are popular flavoured rice options found in eateries and restaurants. We cannot deny the fact that they are delicious and adds good flavour to the meal. However, did you know that these flavoured rice are mostly high in fats and sodium? Thus, they are not the best kind of carbohydrate to pair your meals with regularly. But having plain rice with your meals can be pretty boring, sometimes. Therefore, I’ve decided to experiment and find a healthier flavoured rice alternative – Tomato rice bowl.
Tomatoes have a sweet and sour taste, which complements well in many dishes. For instance, sandwiches, salads, vegetable dishes or just eating it raw. All of them taste great in their own ways. Apart from its tastiness, tomatoes are actually very nutritious too! Not only does it have a variety of vitamins and minerals in there, it is a good source of dietary fibre. Furthermore, studies are showing that tomatoes aid in the reducing the blood pressure and cholesterol too! Tomatoes are definitely a good addition to our meals, isn’t it!
Tomato Rice Bowl
Serves: 3 – 4 Prep Time: 15 – 20 minutes
- 1 large tomato
- 130g of brown rice (or your prefered type of rice)
- 50ml of chicken stock (or you can use homecooked broth)
- 50ml of water
- Olive oil
- Grounded black pepper
- Add 1 cup of rice into the rice cooker. Rinse and wash the rice.
- Add chicken stock and water into the rice cooker.
- Give it a drizzle of olive oil and add a pinch of black pepper.
- Mix everything gently in the rice cooker.
- Destem the tomato and place it on top of the rice.
- Switch on the rice cooker and start cooking!
- Once the rice is ready, mash the tomato and mix it well in the rice. And we are ready to serve the tomato rice bowl! 🙂
Per serving: 208 calories; 0.9 g fat; 34 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fibre
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
If you would like to check out some of the other rice recipes, click here!