Succulent peppers stuffed with Quinoa
Make : 4 servings Time : 40 min
- 100g whole-wheat quinoa
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 4 yellow, orange and/or red bell peppers
- 50g chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
- 1 rinsed 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 6 ounces coarsely chopped baby spinach
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 75g crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1 tbsp red-wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cut the peppers in half, vertically through the stems, leaving the stems attached. Remove the white membrane and seeds. Put the peppers cut-side down in a large microwave-safe bowl. Pour in 1/2 inch water, cover and microwave on High until the peppers are just softened, for around 7-9 minutes. Let it cool slightly, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa until just tender, for around 8 to 10 minutes or according to directions on the package. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Using a fork, mash chickpeas into a chunky paste and leave some whole.
- Over medium heat, heat olive oil in a large nonstick pan. Stir in onion till soft for about 4 minutes. Add spinach and oregano and stir until the spinach is wilted, for about 1 minute. Add in the quinoa, chickpeas, 100g of feta, tomatoes, vinegar and salt; cook until heated through, for about 1 minute. Divide the filling among the pepper halves and sprinkle the remaining feta on each pepper.
Nutritional Facts :
Per serving: 344 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein;11 g fiber; 656 mg sodium; 689 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (340% daily value), Vitamin A (130% dv), Folate (48% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2