Meat dumplings is a significant dish for Chinese New Year. The significance arises from its resemblance to an ingot, which represents wealth. Pork and prawn vegetable dumplings is my personal favourite to make at home. It is fun to prepare and tastes so delicious and hearty.
Typically, dumplings are made with minced pork with a higher fat to meat ratio. However, as this increases the saturated fat content, it isn’t too healthy for our heart health. Using a mix of lean minced pork with prawns (naturally low in fat!), these pork and prawn vegetable dumplings are healthier and produces a nice, chewier texture. This is optional- but adding mashed tofu to the mixture also helps to cut back on the fat, and increases calcium and protein content in a healthier way!
I am a sucker for quick and easy cooking. I admit that I purchase pre-packed dumpling skin/wrappers. However, if you’re not as lazy as I am and have a little extra time, try making your own at home with wholewheat flour! Regular dumpling skins are made with refined flour, which is lower in fibre and vitamins.
Pork And Prawn Vegetable Dumplings Served With Soup
Serves: 3 Time: 60 mins
- 1 packet dumpling wrappers (usually 200g)
- 250g lean minced pork
- 6 medium prawns, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tbsp finely sliced black fungus
- 1-2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- A few dashes of pepper
- 500ml low-sodium vegetable or chicken stock mixed with 100ml water
- 200g baby Shanghai greens
- Mix pork, prawns, chives, black fungus, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil and pepper till well combined
- Wrap dumplings by adding around 1 heaped teaspoon of filling per wrapper, and sealing it with some water on the edges
- Boil dumplings in a large pot of water for 3 minutes until they begin to float
- Place cooked dumplings on a plate and cover with a paper towel to prevent them from drying
- In a separate saucepan, heat soup stock till it boils and add shanghai greens, boil for 1-2 minutes
- Serve dumplings in vegetable soup or have it separately
This recipe makes approximately 24 dumplings and did not require the whole packet of dumpling wrappers. My favourite way of enjoying pork and prawn vegetable dumplings is with a side of black plum vinegar and finely sliced ginger! You can use other vegetables such as spinach, shiitake mushrooms and cabbage if you prefer.
Per serving: 335 calories; 4.5g fat; 37g carbohydrates; 28g protein
Carbohydrate Servings: 2