I went to Taiwan a few months back and fell in love with a baiye tofu salad that I ate at a restaurant in Taoyuan. Ever since, I’ve been trying to re-create that deliciously tangy, moreish and appetising taste, and I think I have nailed it with this baiye tofu salad recipe! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Baiye can make an amazing low-carb noodle substitute and tastes great without much soy aftertaste like other tofus! It also contains 25% more calcium than regular tofu, and because it’s so dense, just one packet contains a whopping 58g protein! That’s the equivalent of almost 3 palm-size of meat! Try it out!
Baiye Tofu Salad
Serves: 8 Time: 30mins
- 1 pack (250g) baiye tofu (cut into thin slices)
- 1 piece of tung hoon (aka cellophane or bean vermicelli noodles; boiled until al dente)
- 1/2 cucumber (julienned into thin strips 5cm long)
- 1 carrot (julienned into thin strips 5cm long)
- 1 big red chilli (de-seeded. not the spicy type! cut into thin strips)
- A handful of mushrooms/wood ear fungus (boiled till cooked)
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 0.5 tsp salt or 1 tbsp plum sauce
- 2 tsp fish sauce (omit if you are vegetarian)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 bunch coriander (chopped)
1. Baiye tofu: Peel off each layer, stack them neatly together and slice into half, stack both halves and cut into thin strips of 3mm width, width can vary depending on your preference. Scald the baiye tofu in boiling water for 2 minutes and take out to let cool.
2. Cucumber preparation: Cut off ends of cucumber. Shred cucumber into thin slices using shredder or knife; each strip ~5cm long. The cucumbers sweat a lot; so you can either remove the seedy pulp and cut the flesh to use, or cut up including the seeds but add a bit of salt and allow to rest to drain away the excess cucumber water.
3. Mix the all the ingredients for seasoning in a big bowl. Add all the ingredients and toss until coated evenly in the sauce. Garnish with chopped coriander and sesame seeds.
Per serving: 178 calories; 9.5g fat; 15g carbohydrates; 8.5g protein; 243mg sodium
Carbohydrate Servings: 1