Such a peculiar title of non-soapy coriander lemon chicken you ask? You may have heard of this particular genetic variation that causes between 7-21% of the population (depending on your ethnicity) to dislike the herb or find it tastes like soap. (I also think bandung and earl grey tastes a bit soapy! Hope you can un-think that next time you drink those!) I am one of those afflicted, and I used to hate coriander with a passion as a result.
That’s until my sister-in-law (who’s an awesome cook!) cooked me this coriander lemon chicken dish that she improvised, and it totally changed my mind about the herb. The soapy taste was masked by the strong lemon and garlic taste, and I was a sudden converted fan of coriander. Chopping the herb can also help break down the aldehyde compounds that can contribute to the soapy taste. I now can eat coriander straight, and while I still find it tastes a bit soapy, I actually enjoy eating it now. There you go; tastebuds really do change over time with increased exposure! I asked my sister-in-law for the coriander lemon chicken recipe, and she said she forgot what exactly was inside… so I cooked something up based on what I remembered of the taste, and it was a hit at dinner!
Credits to some pointers from this website. Genius Kitchen is actually using coriander seeds, but I made it with coriander leaves instead!
Non-Soapy Coriander Lemon Chicken Stir-fry
Serves: 2 Time: 20mins
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 bunch coriander (chopped)
- Juice and zest of 1.5 lemons
- 2 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 chilli pepper (de-seeded, cut into thin strips)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1. Marinate chicken in marinade overnight.
2. Heat non-stick wok over high heat, add olive oil. Take out chicken pieces (drained of excess marinade) and stir-fry till browned.
3. Pour in the marinade liquid into the wok and bring to simmer for a minute, letting it thicken.
4. Serve with brown rice and veggies.
Per serving: 334 calories; 16.8g fat; 19.6g carbohydrates; 25.8g protein; 103mg sodium
Carbohydrate Servings: 1