Rice and rice dishes are a staple of many cultures across the world. According to The Rice Society, there are over 40, 000 types of rice cultivated worldwide! White jasmine rice is much-loved here in Singapore and overseas. But recently, whole grain and lesser-known rice varieties have become more popular, affordable and available. If you’re looking to branch out why not try our egg biryani with brown basmati rice?
Egg Biryani with Brown Basmati Rice
Serves: 4 Time: 35 mins
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 cm knob ginger, diced
- 3 cloves
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp raisins or sultanas
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 2 cups of reduced sodium stock (chicken or vegetable)
- Seeds from half a pomegranate
- ¼ cup cashews
- A handful of coriander leaves
- A handful of mint leaves
- 4 boiled eggs
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add diced onion. Cook for about 5 minutes, until starting to soften. Add ginger and garlic. Stirring for a few minutes until fragrant. Add spices, again stirring for a few minutes until fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Rinse the rice in a sieve until the water runs clear. Add to the rice cooker with stock, raisins and onion mix. Stir to combine and start the rice cooker.
- Once cooked, allow the rice to sit in the rice cooker for at least 10 minutes before serving. Fluff the rice with a fork. Serve with the halved boiled eggs. plenty of herbs and a scattering of cashews and pomegranate seeds.
Check the instructions on the packet of your rice, some brands may suggest more or less than a 2:1 ratio of liquid to rice. You can add extra stock or water as required.
If you make this with white basmati rice rather than brown, you may want to decrease the spices a little. Brown rice tends to need a little extra flavour.
Per serving: 472 calories; 15g fat; 48g carbohydrates; 14protein; 8g fibre
Carbohydrate Servings: 3.2
You can find brown basmati rice on Redmart or at Cold Storage. If you liked this recipe for egg biryani with brown basmati rice, check out our other rice dishes, like this congee, this pilaf or this nasi ulam!