Chinese New Year is the time for our friends and family gather, sitting around the table feasting and catching up with each other as well. Of course, Food is an important part of the celebration too! Some of the must-have foods are; mandarin oranges, yu sheng and a variety of snacks like bak kua (BBQ jerky), pineapple tarts, love letters and more! However, these snacks are usually high in saturated fats and sugar. Eating too much would not do good for our waistline and health. Thus, I wanted to create a healthier snack/dessert that could be made for festive seasons like this! With that thought in mind, I created this Chocolate Peanut Butter Crisp recipe!
This recipe was inspired by a no-bake cornflake recipe and my love for Reese chocolates! This does not require a lot of time to make, and it tastes just as good as Reese chocolate cups! The dark chocolate and peanut butter used gives it a bitter-sweet and yet savoury taste. Dark chocolates are also rich in antioxidants, which can lower blood pressure, reduce cardiovascular risk and improve our mood! Most importantly, these Chocolate Peanut Butter Crisps are definitely healthier than the pineapple tarts and bak kua too!
No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Crisp
Serves: 9 Time: 15 Minutes
4 squares (~30g) of dark chocolate (85%)
40g 100% natural unsalted creamy peanut butter
30g of plain cornflakes (you can use the wholegrain ones for a healthier alternative)
20g baked walnuts (lightly crushed)*
30g baked almonds (lightly crushed)*
*Feel free to replace these with your favourite nuts/topping!
- Break the chocolates into smaller pieces and place it in a bowl. Use a double boiler method to melt the chocolates.
- Remove the chocolate from heat as soon as it has melted.
- Stir in the peanut butter, cornflakes, nuts and mix until all are evenly coated with the chocolate mixture.
- Next, prepare a baking tray and Spread the cornflake mixture into the prepared tray. Refrigerate the mixture for about 1 hour.
- Lastly, cut it up into small pieces and the chocolate peanut butter crisp is served!
Per serving: 131 calories; 9g fat; 9.5g carbohydrates; 4 g protein
Carbohydrate Servings: 1